Promotion and Tenure Timeline (major events)
This timeline was composed for faculty seeking promotion or tenure review and only contains major events. Faculty members submitting materials for non-mandatory or mandatory review should request a more detailed timeline from their department promotion and tenure committee chair.
Please note, each faculty member is responsible for adhering to deadlines. Failure to meet a deadline may affect promotions or tenure reviews. Each faculty member also is responsible for obtaining the latest version of department and college timelines.
- Before April 1
- All faculty members undergoing mandatory promotion and tenure (P&T) review in a subsequent year notify their department chair a P&T review is required. Faculty members on regional campuses notify both their department chair and the dean of the regional campus.
- All faculty members seeking non-mandatory review in a subsequent academic year submit a request to the tenure initiating unit (TIU) P&T committee for non-mandatory review.
- Before May 1
- TIU P&T committee notifies faculty member seeking non-mandatory review of decision regarding permission to seek non-mandatory review
- By May 15
- Faculty member provides department chair a recommended list of no more than five (5) scholars to provide external reviews.
- Faculty member submits P&T statement, curriculum vitae, and no more than five representative publications to department chair for use by external reviewers.
- TIU P&T committee provides the department chair with a recommended list of no more than five (5) scholars to provide external reviews. The chair may recommend additional scholars.
- Before June 15
- TIU department chair send letters and materials to external reviewers.
- First day of autumn semester
- Faculty member submits completed dossier to their TIU P&T committee and complete entry of all pertinent information into Research in View.
- Faculty member completes cover sheet and dossier checklist and submits to her/his TIU P&T committee.
- TIU P&T committee chair informs faculty member of the date for the meeting of the TIU Committee of Eligible Faculty. All revisions to the faculty member’s dossier must be completed at least one week prior to that meeting.
- Before October 1
- TIU Committee of Eligible Faculty meets and votes on P&T. P&T committee composes letter on behalf of TIU Committee of Eligible Faculty, and sends copy to faculty member. Faculty member has 10 calendar days to make comments and send to chair of TIU P&T committee.
- Before October 10
- TIU P&T committee sends letter from TIU Committee of Eligible Faculty to department chair with any comments submitted by the faculty member.
- Before October 17
- Department chair composes letter and sends copy to P&T faculty candidate. The faculty candidate has 10 calendar days to make comments and send to department chair.
- Before October 24
- Department chair submits all materials, including letter from Committee of Eligible Faculty, department chair letter, and any comments made by the faculty member to the college P&T Committee.
- Before December 10
- College P&T committee meets, votes and send recommendations to the dean.
- Before first day of the spring semester
- Dean reviews and composes letter then sends copy of the letter and copy of college P&T committee letter to faculty member for comments. Faculty members have 10 days to make comments and return to dean.
- Before January 15
- Dean reviews any comments on letters and sends all letters and all materials to the EHE Office of Faculty Affairs.
- Before February 1
- Office of Faculty Affairs prepares and sends all materials to OAA.
2023-2024 FPL (Sabbatical Calendar)
Office of Faculty Affairs (OFA), Office of Academic Affairs (OAA), Board of Trustees (BOT)
|Office Faculty Affairs Deadline||OAA deadline||BOT deadline||BOT meeting|
|July 5, 2023||July 19, 2023||August 2, 2023||August 16 – 17, 2023|
|October 4, 2023||October 18, 2023||November 1, 2023||November 15 – 16, 2023|
|January 10, 2024||January 24, 2024||February 7, 2024||February 21 – 22, 2024|
|April 3, 2024||April 17, 2024||May 1, 2024||February 15 – 16, 2023|
The above dates are dates by which all OAA approval request should be submitted to each area in order to meet BOT deadlines and meeting dates.
Department FPL Deadlines
Following are dates your requests for professional leave and special assignments should be submitted in each area.
- Educational Studies – January 15th each year
- Human Sciences – January 15th each year
- Teaching and Learning – January 30th each year
OSU Board of Trustees Calendar
The meeting dates for the Ohio State University Board of Trustees are important to know for faculty members. If you are requesting leave or special assignments, seeking promotion or tenure, have a grievance or waiting to hear about a faculty search, the trustees have final determinations on these faculty issues.
University Board Committee Meetings are on Thursdays. Board meetings are on Fridays at Longaberger Alumni House, 2200 Olentangy River Road, unless otherwise noted and are subject to change. Some meetings may be held at other locations and will be announced as determined. Contact the board of trustees or call (614) 292-6359 for more information.
College Council Calendar
The EHE Council meets the first Friday of each month during the academic year in the EHE College Commons, 260 Ramseyer Hall. Find out more about the council.